Taekwondo Training for Kicking Accuracy
To excel at Taekwondo, you must also improve the accuracy of your kicks and strikes. If you can’t hit the right spot, super speed and power doesn’t help much. Remember, the Taekwondo student with the best power, speed… and accuracy is usually the victor.
Taekwondo Kicking Accuracy Drills & Exercises
- Improve your accuracy with various kicking drills. Watch the videos below for ideas.
- One drill is where you yell out random kicks (i.e. back kick, side kick, back kick, etc.) to your partner and they must hit a kicking paddle (which you place in different locations and heights). You can remain stationary or move about the floor when you conduct this exercise.
- For even greater accuracy, try hitting a tennis ball (attached to a rope/string) hanging down from your basement/garage ceiling.
- You can also use a kicking dummy and place tape at key locations (i.e. high, middle and low). Number each piece of tape and then shout out a number that a student must hit (i.e. 6 = high left, 3 = low right, etc.).
- For sparring, you can practice accuracy by kicking the circles on your partner’s chest protector. Your partner should keep his/her hands up and simulate different sparring moves so you can practice accurate attacks and counter-attacks. Remember, don’t kick too hard or you will injure your partner.
- For kids, our Taekwondo Masters will occasionally tape balloons to the kicking dummies. They must show their accuracy by popping the balloons. A fun way to teach kicking accuracy. 🙂
Instructional Videos on Taekwondo Kicking Accuracy